Normally, I don’t like a lot of seafood, but shrimp is one of my favorites. And mix that in a pasta with a creamy sauce and I am sold!
I found this recipe in one of my cooking magazines and knew we had to give it a try immediately. Most of the ingredients are items we usually have on hand, so we only had to grab a couple things to make this delicious meal.
The original recipe called for a green bell pepper, but we decided that a red bell pepper would be better in it. I think we also were forced into that decision because the grocery store was out of green peppers at the time.
Step by Step
As with any recipe, I start by getting my ingredients prepared. The bell pepper needs to be chopped, and the garlic minced. Then prepare the pasta according to the package. When you drain the pasta, reserve about 1/3 cup of the water.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add one tablespoon of oil to the pan.In a large bowl, combine the Cajun seasoning, flour, and shrimp and toss to coat the shrimp.
Add the bell pepper to the pan and cook for a few minutes until they are crisp-tender.
Add the shrimp and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they are done, making sure to flip the shrimp at least once while cooking.
Put the remaining oil in the skillet and add the cayenne and minced garlic. Then stir in the liquid reserved from the pasta along with the with the salt, bay leaves, and tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened. Discard the bay leaves and add the half-and-half, cooking until heated through.
Serve garnished with green pepper and parmesan cheese.
Shop This Post
Creamy Shrimp Pasta Recipe
- 6 oz whole-grain linguine
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp canola oil divided
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 3/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/3 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine Cajun seasoning, flour, and shrimp in a medium bowl and toss to coat.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Add the bell pepper to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Add shrimp mixture to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Add cayenne pepper and garlic.
- Add reserved 1/3 cup cooking liquid, salt, bay leaves, and tomatoes, bringing it to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in half-and-half. Cook 1 minute over medium heat or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with green pepper and parmesan cheese.
Join the Son Shine Community
Become a master of the kitchen.
Acquire new recipes, learn new techniques, and discuss your kitchen accomplishments & mishaps with others.