Never heard of this? That’s because it’s a recipe that my grandparents created. Gurnham is their last name so we call it Chicken a la Gurnham. It’s one of my favorite dinners that they make. We have had to tweak the recipe a little bit because one of the ingredients is no longer available in the US. When their neighbor goes home to London they used to have him pick them up some from there! I found a pretty good substitute, though, that gives it almost the same flavor and have been making it with that for a few years now. Also, my grandparents always make it with peas…. I can’t stand peas so we leave those out. So I guess I have changed the recipe a couple times too, but it is still based on their recipe, so I still call it that.
Chicken a la Gurnham
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 4 carrots
- 1 pkg biscuit gravy Pioneer Brand
- 1/2 cup milk
- 10 oz chicken broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 can biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450
- Boil chicken until cooked through, then cut into bite-sized pieces
- Boil carrots until tender, then chop into small pieces
- In medium saucepan, combine gravy, milk, and chicken broth
- Stir constantly until it boils
- Add butter and simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly, then remove from heat
- In large bowl, mix the sauce, chicken, and carrots together
- Pour into 9×13 baking dish
- Bake for 20-25 minutes then remove from oven
- Reduce oven temperature to 350
- Place biscuits on top of mixture
- Place back in oven and back for 10 minutes or until biscuits are done
Join the Son Shine Community
Become a master of the kitchen.
Acquire new recipes, learn new techniques, and discuss your kitchen accomplishments & mishaps with others.